1. Netherworld Haunted House – Atlanta, Georgia, www.fearworld.com. Netherworld is a pinnacle haunted house attraction that truly transforms actors into horrific monsters of fright. This haunt is the industry leader in developing new scare techniques utilizing the perfect balance of live actor/animatronic scare zones. Outside the entrance, a dedicated army of monsters scare patrons before ever even entering the doorway. Netherworld is a MOST ENTERTAINING haunt you will not want to miss!
2. Bates Motel / Pennhurst Asylum – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, www.thebatesmotel.com. The Bates Motel is more than just a haunted house. It’s a major league SCREAM PARK with detailed haunted houses and a massive haunted hayride that’s sure to have you screaming in fear! Bates Motel is well known for its use of the most amazing pyrotechnics ever included in a haunted hayride. For 2010, there’s a second reason to fear Philadelphia as Pennhurst Asylum opens its doors to the public as one of the scariest REAL haunted houses in America: www.pennhurstasylum.com
3. The Darkness Haunted House – St. Louis, Missouri, www.scarefest.com. The Darkness is a powerhouse haunted house with Hollywood quality special effects, live actors, hundreds of animations, and amazing set design detailed throughout two floors of fright. The Darkness is the only haunted house to be featured on Modern Marvels, National Geographic Channel and Travel Channel. The Darkness has been hailed by many as America's best. In St. Louis, you’ll also want to visit Creepyworld Haunted Screampark and the all new Lemp Brewery Haunted House.
4. 13th Gate Haunted House – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, www.midnightproduction.com. 13th Gate Haunted House is rated once again as the best haunted house in America two years running by Hauntworld.com. This haunt has it all! Not many haunted houses in America have reached this superior level of detail. Amazing sets, incredible special effects, Hollywood-quality makeup artists, and more transform this location into a massive scream factory!
5. Headless Horseman – Ulster Park, New York, www.headlesshorseman.com. Headless Horseman is a fearful force not to be reckoned with. It’s an industry giant and includes one of THE BEST haunted hayrides in America. The Headless Horseman himself will chase you down and hunt your soul inside this massive scream park of horror nestled on an old eerie farm in Ulster Park, NY. The landscape provides an authentic Halloween experience that’s sure to terrify all who dare enter.
6. The Beast – Kansas City, Missouri, www.kcbeast.com. The Beast Haunted House, one of the biggest and best indoor haunted attractions in the nation, spans FIVE FLOORS of fear with set design, ghost illusions, and detail to match the largest big-budget movies. The Beast is simply a “beast” of a haunted house, packing so much terror into an enormous building large enough for 10 typical haunted houses. You’ll be asking yourself, “Will this nightmare ever end?”
7. Spookywoods - High Point, North Carolina, www.spookywoods.com. Spookywoods is MORE than just a haunted house. It’s an entire scream park of terror including a corn maze, haunted trail, haunted house and even a haunted tram ride. The Spookywoods location also features one of the biggest daytime Halloween events in the nation. The Halloween fun includes dino digs, zip lines, pumpkin patches, and so much more. When night falls, send the kiddies away because the ghouls come out to play…and they don’t play nice at Spookywoods.
8. Erebus Haunted House - Pontiac, Michigan, www.hauntedpontiac.com. Erebus is the most unique haunted house in America. Every scene and prop in Erebus haunted house has an animation or special effect to horrify customers into the frights of their lives. Erebus is also one of America's longest haunted houses once holding the Guinness Book of World Records. Erebus is a multi-level haunted house with tens of thousands of dollars spent on special effects to bring you the ultimate scare.
9. House of Torment – Austin, Texas, www.houseoftorment.com. House of Torment (HOT) is a horrific haunted house experience that HauntWorld discovered back in 2008 and featured on the cover of HauntWorld Magazine. HOT brings you an unmatched, in-your-face FEAR and takes it to new horrific heights with icon monsters, over the top marketing, edgy scenes and blood-curdling screams!
10. Cutting Edge Haunted House - Fort Worth/Dallas Texas, www.CuttingEdgeHauntedHouse.com. Cutting Edge Haunted House is the reigning champion of the Guinness Book of World Records longest haunted house! Easily described as a never-ending journey through hell, Cutting Edge is located in an eerie old meat packing plant. Closed down for many years, they’re now processing meat once again…meat of human flesh! Enter if you dare inside the Dallas area's BEST haunted house.
11. The 13th Floor Haunted House - Denver, Colorado, www.getscared.com. The most detailed and elaborate haunted house in Denver is The 13th Floor featuring breath taking sets, scenes, special effects, and the SCARIEST monsters on the planet. The masterminds behind The 13th Floor Haunted House also own two other amazing haunts in Denver, The Asylum and Blood Shed. When visiting Denver, you must visit all three haunted attractions for the scream of your life!
12. Dent Schoolhouse – Cincinnati, Ohio, www.frightsite.com. The Dent Schoolhouse is new to our top 13 list, and we’ve discovered a goldmine of FEAR with this one! The Dent Schoolhouse features incredible story telling, horrific set design, and amazing fright inside one of the creepiest buildings we’ve ever encountered. Was that a costumed monster or the haunting of a REAL ghost? You be the judge, if you survive The Dent Schoolhouse.
13. Nightmare on the Bayou - Houston, Texas, www.nightmareonthebayou.com. Nightmare on the Bayou is a terrifying haunted house experience that plays on your every heart-pounding fear. It’s called a “nightmare” for a reason. If you escape Nightmare on the Bayou, you’ll also want to visit their massive Halloween costume retail store where you can stock up on all the 2010 must-haves for the Halloween season. You need it; they got it at Party Boy.